The Copycat Dress
Hello again! I had a paper deadline last week, so I didn't have time to write any posts or work on any new sewing projects. Thankfully, the deadline is now behind me and I'm back with a new dress!
You may remember Maggie's guest spot on the blog a few weeks ago. She's the cutest, and her dress is adorable. I love that dress SO MUCH that I decided to make my own version of it featuring flowers and cats!
I made this dress using the Jessica Pattern from Sew Sew Def. Following Maggie's lead, I replaced the patch pockets with side seam pockets, and self-lined the bodice. You may also remember that I loathe making spaghetti straps. I swapped the spaghetti straps for slightly thicker ones that don't require turning (aka the worst).
The pattern calls for 3 7/8 yards of 45" fabric, but I was able to make it, add pockets, and self-line the bodice with less than 3 yards. I love the sweetheart neckline, gathered waist, and princess seams. In addition to the pattern, I love this cotton fabric! The color is lovely, and the print combines two of my favorite things: cats and flowers. The fabric is from Whistler Studios, purchased from Fabric.com.
The best thing about stealing Maggie's style is that I didn't have to make a muslin. I simply tried on her dress and took note of where I needed to make adjustments. I should really get her to pilot patterns more often. Sewing this dress was a breeze!
One of these days, we'll have to coordinate and both wear our Jessica dresses.